But in case you're not playing video games all weekend with your boyfriend, or helping out traffic conducting at the Governor's Ball *cough cough* then here are a few other ideas!
Berlin Currywurst Now Open
Silverlake, I hate you so... now why'd you have to go and open what is probably going to be one of my new favorite restros in the city? Seriously? I love me some Currywurst, but I don't know how strong the delicious curry ketchup hot dog fries goodness pull is to get me into your grasps. Maybe I'll just have to go all the way back to Berlin instead! Berlin Currywurst, 3827 Sunset Blvd, Silver Lake 323.663.1989
Saturday, 2/26From Seed to Skillet
Jimmy Williams and Susan Heeger, authors of From Seed to Skillet, will be at the L.A. County Arboretum this weekend to talk about their book and various ways to approach growing your own produce Admission to the arboretum is included in the ticket price. $25 Los Angeles County Arboretum, 301 N. Baldwin Ave. (at Stanford Dr.), Arcadia www.arboretum.org
New Noir introduces its inaugural Oscars party at West Hollywood nightspot, The Libertine. Mingle with the beautiful people, nosh on treats from The Libertine’s new menu and dance to a soundtrack provided by resident DJ New Berlin and Baron Von Luxxury. The effervescent Jenny Rae of Lil Rae Cakes will host the most insane Oscars party of 2011 – don’t miss it! Plus, Cake Balls & Photo-booths. Awesome. $10. The Libertine, 8210 W. Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood new-noir.com/sunset-starlets-burlesque
James Franco & Gus Van Sant's "Unfinished"
Stars Feb 26th - April 9th
Gagosian Gallery is pleased to announce an exhibition by Gus Van Sant and James Franco. "Unfinished" features two films, Endless Idaho and My Own Private River, which are collaborations between Van Sant and Franco. After casting Franco in the award-winning film Milk (2008), Van Sant showed him the dailies and other footage that he had shot many years before for My Own Private Idaho (1991), which starred River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves as street hustlers in Portland, Oregon. Much of this material did not make it into the final cut, and so Franco decided to fashion it into two new films, riffing off the original title.
Gagosian Gallery, 456 N Camden Dr, Beverly Hills www.gagosian.com
A 10-Beer Feast at the Foundry (Urban Daddy)
If you’ve decided to avoid the Oscars because your favorite movie of the year, The Bounty Hunter, was robbed, you can ride out Sunday with a two-meal, 10-course feast at the Foundry paired with 10 beers from the Bruery. Be sure to pour a little out for Gerard... $115, The Foundry, 7465 Melrose Ave, 323-651-0915
Academy Awards Drink Along (Caroline on Crack)
Bored to death during awards shows? Nothing makes such a thing more bearable than watching it with a drinking game. Downtown Independent will provide the beer, you provide the drinking game rules. Knock one back every time Franco and Hathaway high five.
* 3:30 red carpet. Free. Downtown Independent, 251 S. Main Street, Los Angeles. (213) 617-1033.
Academy Awards at Big Bar (Caroline on Crack)
Watch the awards show in the garden patio of this Los Feliz bar where the James Franco and Anne Hathaway variety show will be projected on a large screen draped over the front of the building. Enjoy Plymouth Gin cocktails ($11 each) like the “And the Award Goes to” Punch with lemon ginger tea, lemon juice and apricot liqueur. Cast your ballots of who you think will win and the attendee with the most correct votes will win a $100 Big Bar/Alcove gift card.
* 5pm-12am. No cover. Big Bar, 1929 Hillhurst Avenue, Los Feliz
- Pourtal (Santa Monica): $5 wine and beer specials all night long. Plus, take part in their Oscar game and guess the winners in the top categories for a chance to win free tastes of wine!
- MJ’s (Silverlake): $7 recommended donation to get in, which benefits the Las Memorias project. You will get $4 drink specials all night long, plus the first 75 guests will get free appetizers from Yucca’s. There will be raffles and contests throughout the event.
- Downtown Independent (Downtown…duh): FREE admission, BUT no drink specials, BUT you can watch the show on the big screen and take part in their drinking games (like drinking when there is ‘cutesy’ award show banter between Franco and Hathaway), guaranteed to be a fun time.
- Oakfire Pizza (West Hollywood): Food and drink specials, Oscar picks contest with prizes, plus a photobooth!
- Danny’s (Venice): They will be showing the Oscars on their big screens in the Grand Mural Room, fill out a ballot with your picks and enter their pool to win prizes. Oscar themed bingo with a free drink if you get bingo! Plus food+drink specials.